“Beeeeeeep, Beeeeeep, Beeeeeeeep”
Uhgggg! I hit the snooze button and thought to myself, “6 o'clock in the morning definitely came far too soon this morning.” It seemed quicker than any other morning had in a long time. Maybe it was just because of my own unwillingness to want to go this morning. But it doesn't matter, I have to drag my butt out of bed and get going.
The bus ride to school was so long and boring. I practically fell asleep on the bus every morning, but this morning was different. I couldn't stop thinking about last night. I hate fighting with my mom, but I just wanted her to understand what I wanted and why I wanted it. I was thinking so much I almost didn't realize that my stop was coming up very soon. I rang the bell, gathered my books and got up. When I got off the bus, I looked at the front of my overly huge school and sighed. I really didn't want to go in, but I may as well get it over with and make the best of the day, since I have to be here anyway.
I walked to my locker and started to put in the combination, 00-22-3...and then I jumped. There was Trevor, standing there in all his beautiful glory. God, he really was something amazing. I don't know what he saw in me. I'm nothing in comparison. I mean, he's tall, 6'4, dirty blonde hair, bright green eyes and oh so built! And me, I'm just...so normal. 5'9, short brown hair, dull greenish blue eyes, and average build, just totally and utterly normal. as soon as the thought went through my mind, he spoke.
“Jumpy much Holly?”, he chuckled but continued on, “I wanted to ask you something, and since I just happened to run into you here, I might as well just get on with it.”
I blushed a little, but let out a nervous giggle and said, “Oh really, and what would that be? Are you gonna ask me if I want to go to the game on Friday again? I already told ya...”, But he cut me off before I had a chance to finish my sentence.
“No, It has nothing to do with the game. As much as I would like you to come, I know you won't. I understand the whole school spirit thing just isn't you.” He said with a sort of sad but yet lame tone.
“Then what is it? The bells gonna ring soon, are you sure it can't wait till lunch?” I said a little hesitantly. As much as I like him, he makes me so damn nervous. I'll never understand why he wants to spend so much time with me.
“You're right the bells gonna ring soon. Will you meet me at the bleachers when the bell rings? I just really wanna talk to you.” He said unable to look at me. I mean, really I know I'm a plain jane, but am I really that hard to look at?
“Yeah okay, fine. I'll see ya at lunch then.” I said as I turned back to my locker. I put my stuff inside, and locked it back up. I could tell Trevor was still there, right behind me, and I didn't want to face him, but I had no choice. As I turned around Trevor was starting to walk away, and my heart sank. Did I really just fluff him off like he was nothing? But it doesn't matter right? I mean I don't plan on being here any longer than I have to be, so I don't want to like him or anyone else for that matter! “No attachments, Holly!” I thought to myself just as the bell rang.
***
When I got to class and walked in the door, I saw the same thing I saw everyday. Candi, Jen and Clairissa sitting all across the back row, and one seat left for me. I really did like these girls, even though they we're just my school friends. We never got together after school or ever did anything outside of school actually. Come to think of it, I don't even have their phone numbers, but whatever, it doesn't matter now, right?
I walked to my seat and sat down, practically throwing my books on my desk in my typical I don't give a damn way. Everyone was just so use to it, it didn't even attract so much as a look in my direction. Except of course, the girls. They all saw me and waved their little hello's and continued gushing over the boys a few rows ahead of us, total ick! It's not that I didn't find any of them attractive or didn't like boys, contrary to some of the bitches at this school, I just had no interest in any of them. Plus, I could never compete with any of those three girls.
First off, Candi, She's tall, with legs that look like they go on forever. She's got the longest ultra blonde hair that I've ever seen in my life. Of course in the classical cheesiness, she's got the most perfect bright blue eyes. Eyes, I'm totally jealous of. Her eyes put the ocean to shame, seriously.
Then there's Jen, She's unique, but beautiful, inside and out. She's very outgoing and in your face, but still shy when no ones looking. Most people would call her goth or emo, because of her style. She's got short black hair, and is always wearing black clothing. Her eyes are sort of a grey colour, and always lined in a heavy thick layer of black eye liner. I think it suits her though. She's a very small girl in every way. She's the first true vegan I've ever met, and she lives by it too. Jen's just one of these people you have to actually meet to understand I guess. Finally, there's Clairissa, She's totally one of those typical popular girls. She's tall and slender, always perfectly groomed, not a hair or nail out of place. I swear she must have a personal stylist living in her room. She keeps to herself though. She's got strawberry blonde hair, and emerald green eyes. She's always, and I mean always, wear some sort of designer clothing, Rich much? Yep, and then there's me, plain jane me. We're not a typical group and most people who see us together must think their entering the twilight zone. We're dysfunctional and not typical, but what about high school isn't?
Mr. Robins clears his throat and says, “Earth to Holly, could you please join the rest of class here and answer this question for me?” As he points to the board and it draws my attention back to class. Oh my god! I look at the board and have no idea what to say, I mean it's math. Math has got to be the worst subject ever! As I'm sitting there, starring at the front of class and hearing other people snickering around me, Jen whispers, “Holly, it's 36.” I look at her and smile. Thank god for friends!
“Uh, it's 36 Mr.Robins.” I grin slightly and hope she's right. The look on Mr. Robins face worries me though, and then, he smiles, “It's nice to see that you are paying attention to class Holly.” As he continues to go on with the lesson, all I can do is sigh a huge breath of relief. The rest of the class was boring as per normal. When the bell rang I waited for everyone else to get up and run out the door before I even bothered to moved. I defiantly wasn't in that much of a hurry to get to my next class, it was just Science.
***
Time seemed to be actually going by fairly fast in class today. I even paid some attention to the lecture. I hate science class, I use to think it was my favourite class, but that all changed when the only person I would even talk to decided she wanted to switch her times table around. Now class was just totally lame. Mrs. Blackett is an awesome teacher, she's nice, caring and totally sweet. She's just got a
voice that's so...How can I put this without sounding too harsh?...so Ben Stein! Ya know, monotone. It's hard to not want to fall asleep most classes, although as of right now, I haven't actually fallen asleep. Yet.
Finally the bell rings and everyone leaves like a herd of elephants. This time I actually do try get the hell out as soon as I can. I mean, really it's lunch now, and I have a meeting. I don't really know why I'm calling it a meeting, it sounds so formal. I'm just so nervous! What could Trevor possibly have to ask or say to me? If it's not about the game on Friday, could it have something to do with one of my friends? Oh man, that's gotta be it, and I'm betting it's about Candi. I really don't want to deal with this right now.
I was at the back doors before I even realized it, I really need to pay more attention to what I'm doing, and there he was. God! Trevor looked so good just sitting there on the bleachers. I stepped out of the door and crossed the street to the football field. “Time to face this thing. Thing? What's wrong with me?” I thought to myself. I looked up and saw Trevor waving like an idiot at me. I gave a little wave back, just to make him stop, I didn't want attention turned onto this 'meeting'. Before I even had the chance to climb to the bleacher bench he was sitting on, he began to speak.
“Holly, Hey! I'm glad you really did come meet me out here.” Trevor said with biggest, dorkiest, but yet cute and loveable, smile.
“Of course I would. What do you take me for?” I frowned, a little upset that he could think I would just blow him off. Specially considering we have the next two classes together.
“I didn't mean it like that Holly. I just mean, I'm glad you agreed to meet me here this morning. It shouldn't take too long once I figure out how to put this.” He paused in thought, and I just looked out across the field. “Should I just tell him I'm pretty sure I know what he has to say, or just sit here like I'm clueless?” I thought, in the end decided to open my mouth, bad idea.
“Look Trevor, I'm sure I know why you wanted to talk to me.” I paused to look at him, boy did he ever look puzzled. Could I be wrong? Well, there's only one way to find out, so I continued, “ Yes, Candi is single. No, I don't know if she's into you like that. And, please don't make me ask her.” I sighed, and Trevor began to laugh a little, I must of been right then.
“Oh Holly, Are you really that naive?” He laughed so hard I thought he was gonna fall off the top of the bleachers. I was so mad, I kinda hoped he would!
“What the hells that suppose to mean? Why are you laughing at me? I'm not naive or stupid? What other reason could you possibly have to want to talk to me? The only thing I can think of is that its not Candi, it's Clairissa!” I defensively said, maybe a little too quickly.
“Whoa Holly! Calm down. I didn't want to make you mad or anything, really, I promise. I actually do like someone you know, but not Candi or Clairissa. It's...” I cut him off so quickly.
“You have got to be kidding me!” Now it was my turn to laugh so hard, I almost fell off, “You want Jen! I really don't think your her type. I mean, I've seen the guys she likes, but their, well, unique like her, and I just don't think that's you. Your hot and all, but not in a Jen kinda way.”
Suddenly, the frown he had, became the biggest smile I've ever seen. I was kind of confused, until he opened his mouth and spoke, “Holly, Holly, Holly. You think I'm hot!” He continued smiling, and I began to feel my face burn with embarrassment, “Did I really just let that spill out?” I thought to myself. “Well I'm glad to know it! Seriously, you just made this so much easier, and you didn't even mean to.” I was about to speak, but he just held up his hand and continued, “Just let me finish before you say anything more. Holly, I know we've only been friends for a couple months now, but we hang out everyday and I think we get along pretty damn well! Wouldn't you agree? Don't answer that right now. Okay look, it's like this, I was wondering if you'd like to go catch a movie with me sometime?” He looked down at the ground, and I looked away. “Holy Crap! Is this really happening? Is he asking
me out on a date? What's gonna happen after? Does he want to go steady?” I was screaming in my mind, but when I looked at him again, starring at me, I realized I was taking too long to answer him, his expression had worried written all over it. I saw him open his mouth like he was gonna say something, but this time it was my turn to talk. I put my hand up exactly like he had done to me.
“Trevor! Oh my lord! Are you serious? I never saw this coming. I do think we get along really well, and we work together as friends. But, ya know what? Sure. We'll try and see what happens.” I'm sure by this point, now I was the one with the biggest, dorkiest smile anyone had ever seen. Trevor was starring at me, and I wasn't able to read his face. Shouldn't he seem happy or excited or something good, not emotionless? He's the one that wanted this, right? I turn my head away from him, I just couldn't look at his expressionless face.
“Holly, you're not messing with my head, right? You really will give me a chance?” He said, apparently in shock.
“Of course I would. I mean, I don't know where this will go, if anywhere at all, but it's worth a try, right?” I said, now unsure if this was a good thing.
“Well that's awesome then. How about tomorrow night? That movie with Ben Stiller is out, what's it called?” He paused and thought for only a moment, “Oh right, Meet the Parents. Wanna see that one with me?” He said it with so much enthusiasm there was no way I could say no.
“Yeah sure, that sounds really good!” I tried to sound as excited as him, although I'm sure I wasn't even close, but he didn't notice anyway.
Then the bell rang. “Dang! It's after lunch already!” I thought to myself. I looked at Trevor and said “I'll meet you in class okay? I just need to get some stuff from my locker.” I waved as I ran down the bleachers and across the field. I burst through the double doors and rushed down the hall. “Crap! Crap! Crap! What am I going to tell my mom?!” That's all I could think of, What would she do or say? I mean Im a freshman, he's a senior. I'm dead meat.
***
I walked into Drama class, and Trevor was sitting there, with the same bunch of girls that always gathered around him. “What does he see in me?”I thought. I went to sit in my normal seat when I heard Trevor yell, “Hey Holly hunny, What are you doing? Come over here, I saved a seat for you.” He smiled, and I must add, the cutest smile in history, and all eyes we're on me as I sat down. I was even getting dirty looks from girls, who never would of had any reason too before all of this started happening today. Ya know, maybe I really could get use to this. It's not a bad feeling to be hated, envied, starred at with extremely jealous eyes. This could be a good life. But, is this going to remake me think about going to Melbrook?
In walked Ms. Gregor, although, I shouldn't say just walked in, she danced in, like always. She's always such a happy person, very perky too. Ms. Gregor is very pretty and lively. As far as anyone in all of her classes knows, she's still single, and I don't think she's looking either. She seems like a very strong and independent woman. Still, no one really knows for sure. Sometimes I wish I could just be as happy as she is, with everything.
“Attention class!” Ms. Gregor sang. “Today is Shakespeare day! Exciting, isn't it? I need each of you to get into groups of two. We will then pick a Shakespeare master piece. Practice, practice, practice! Because next week you will be performing in front of the class.”
It's funny, even though I'm sitting right next to Trevor, so many girls still come over to ask him to be their partner. I did figure that he may choose someone else because realistically, I'm not the best drama
student. Trevor was amazing at drama. So when Trevor turned to me and asked me to be his partner, let's say I was a little ecstatic. Again with the jealous eyes! Smiling I thought to myself, “How can I be so lucky?!”
“So, Holly, what master piece would you like to do?” Trevor said with a smile. I could obviously see what 'master piece' he's thinking of.
“Well, any one of them would work. I love Shakespeare, he's a totally awesome dead guy!” I chuckled. That's how I've been describing Shakespeare my whole life almost.
Laughing at my ridiculous comment Trevor said, “Well, I was kind of thinking we could do 'Romeo and Juliet'? How about it?” He smiled that beautiful smile that, let me tell you, is very hard to want to say no to. It's always been that way with him, and now, well, I'm not saying no to my boyfriend. Hmm, boyfriend, sounds funny to say, but I think I like it.
“Yeah, sure, it sounds good to me.” I said grinning. As much as he thought I was smiling at him for his decision on which play to choose. I really wasn't. I was smiling uncontrollably because of my last thought, my boyfriend, it has a nice ring to it.
It's not like I haven't had a boyfriend before, I have had a couple, three to be completely honest. There was Jason, but he was a kindergarten thing, nothing serious. I've been boy crazy my whole life, as my mom would say. Then there has been Bradly and Marcus, off and on. If I wasn't with Brad, I was with Marcus, and vice versa. See, nothing serious. With Trevor, it feels different. It feels like this might be something more, it's my first high school boyfriend too!
“Maybe we can practice together after the movies tomorrow” Trevor said, interrupting my train of thought.
“Maybe we can. I guess we'll just see how things go.” I smiled at him, I just couldn't help it anymore. Class was coming to an end, so everyone was packing up their bags and saying their good-byes. Then Ms. Gregor spoke, “Okay students, don't forget to practice! I'll see everyone Monday. Have a safe and happy weekend.” She started walking toward the door as she spoke.
***
Trevor and i walked hand-in-hand back to my locker. He offered me a ride home, but I figured that I was better off taking the bus. I need the time to talk to my parents first, before they suddenly just see him with me.
“Are you sure I can't give you a ride home?” Trevor asked with a frown.
“Yeah, look I need to tell my parents about,” I hesitated, “us.”
“Are they going to have a problem with us hanging out?”
“Well, I don't think so. But I just think I should inform them, ya know?” I asked.
“Yeah, alrighty then. I gotta get going. I'll see ya tomorrow night, around 6, okay?” He smiled, hugged me and gave me a piece of paper.
“Yeah, okay, See ya tomorrow.” I let out a big sigh, and started heading for the bus stop.
No comments:
Post a Comment